The Purdy story begins in 1925 when S. Desmond Purdy began building paint brushes in a converted 2-car garage in Oregon. His unswerving, uncompromising dedication to quality and excellence continue today. He was a man of strong principle, who believed that handcrafting the finest painting tools may take a little longer. But he knew it was the only way to "build in" the characteristics and properties that assure superior coverage and unsurpassed performance that can only be found in Purdy tools.
In 1961, David Howard Sr. was a buyer for Montgomery Wards in California. He left Wards to accept an offer from Mrs. Purdy, after Mr. Purdy died, and was asked to come and manage the Purdy products. In 1965, Mrs. Purdy retired, and David Howard Sr. took the helm. This marked the point when Purdy truly began to expand throughout the United States. Today the company sells its products in all 50 states as well as internationally.
In 1994, RAF Industries acquired Purdy after David Howard Sr. elected to retire. In 1998, RAF sold a majority of its share in Purdy to Bessemer Holdings. Bessemer Holdings’ division Paint Sundry Brands included Purdy and Bestt Liebco brands.
In 2005, Sherwin Corporations purchased Paint Sundry Brands from Bessemer Holdings. At the time, Paint Sundry Brands included Purdy, Symphony, and Bestt Liebco brands.
The one constant amidst the changes in ownership is that Purdy's philosophy is still one of QUALITY, SERVICE and VALUE, all of which are done with INTEGRITY. Purdy continues to handcraft the world's finest painting tools. We are the "yardstick" by which all other painting tools are measured. We will always strive to remain far ahead of our competition and continue to improve our products as we market throughout the world!