Painters Tool Box
Before you begin to paint, it's a good idea to gather all the supplies you may need and have them ready, prior to painting. Having the right tools and using them the right way will help ensure that you obtain exceptional results each and every time. If you would like to learn more about how to properly use paint brushes and roller covers, please visit our DVD section and view the proper techniques.
The following are a suggested list of products.
These are the tools you may need to prep the paint surface and protect items that you'd plan on painting.
- Adjustable wrench
- Coveralls or other old clothing
- Dropcloths or tarps to protect furniture
- Drywall screws and nails
- Dust mask
- First aid kit
- Goggles or glasses (to protect your eyes)
- Hammer (removing nails
- Masking tape
- Nail Set
- Neoprene gloves (to protect hands)
- Putty and putty knife
- Razor knife & blades
- Screwdriver (removing screws on switchplate covers)
- Soap or solvent, water and cloth (to clean surface prior to painting)
- Sturdy ladder
- Tape measure
These are the tools you will use to apply the coating that you have selected. Be sure that the brush or roller cover you choose matches the coating that you are using and the surface you will be painting.
- 1"-1-1/2" angle brush for painting trim and small areas
- 2-1/2"-3" brush for larger areas.
NOTE: Be sure to use a synthetic brush for latex paint as natural bristle tends to retain water and does not work as well.)
- Mini-rollers and frames for detail work
- Paint pan
- Roller frame
- Roller cover (be sure the nap or depth of pile matches what you are painting. The rougher the surface, the longer the nap should be.)
- Extension pole for rollers
- Brush comb
- Brush and roller spinner
- Soap for water-base or latex paint
- Solvent for oil-base coating
(select the proper product for your coating)
Purdy does not recommend wire brushes or abrasive tools as they can damage your applicators.
Outdoor and Specialty Painting
In addition to the items mentioned above, you may want to add some of these items to your list for painting exteriors.
- Mildew cleaner (if needed)
- Plastic to cover windows, doors
- Pressure washer (to wash exterior)
- Primer (often a good idea for exteriors)
- Sturdy extension ladder
Symphony by Purdy offers a wide selection of Faux Finishing tools. Select the desired finish and we'll show you the tools to help you achieve it.
Purdy also makes a variety of brushes, roller covers and accessories to meet all your painting needs. If you are unsure which brush or roller cover to purchase, please use our Selector Tool.
This Painters Toolbox is also available as a PDF. Click here to download, check off what you need and head to your nearest paint applicator dealer. To find the nearest paint applicator dealer, use our locator tool.